Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week X1


Week X1
31.43 Miles

I ran 8 miles after work with some friends from work. I like that there are so many people devoted to their health where I work. It always makes it easier to do the right things when other people are participating with you. We ran Gallup and I felt strong.

The next two runs at home were pretty miserable. The humidity has been out of control for the last month and I'm finding it as much of a battle as running in the sun midday. I ran hard nonetheless and finished the runs strong. Watching "Without Limits" one of the Prefontaine movies helped for motivation, so I'm thankful for that.

I met the wife and her running partner for the 13 miler after a 12 hr shift at Gallup Park. I got a couple of friends from work to run some of it with us. Shelly, who is running the Chicago marathon a week earlier than mine, and Rob, the leader of the run club at work. I felt honored to run with him for his longest run ever and watch him finish strong. I felt pretty tired the first 8 miles, but after my friends left me, something inside me turned on and I got negative splits the rest of the way. I felt strong and encouraged. Despite all of the bonking on these long runs, I believe that when the weather cools, I will be ready and motivated.

This is the part of the training that no one likes. This is the gruel. These are hard miles in bad weather conditions. I could run in the rain and snow for hours without issue, but bring out the sun and it's disgusting heat and I get weak.

Next week isn't going to be fun. High humidity predicted again and I have an 18 miler scheduled with RunDetroit on Sunday.

PS: The pic above was chosen because it scares me.




Sing.
Migrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment