Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week XII


Week XII
36 Miles

This was the hottest week of the summer. I don't do well in the heat, so my anxiety woke me up for the first 5 of the week, so I ran with the wife at 4:45 AM. It was humid, but the temp was low so the run was a wet success.

The next day, my heat anxiety got me up at 5:25, just after my wife left for her 8 miler. I pulled myself out of bed and ran 8 beautiful miles in the closing hours of the night at a speedy pace. I got home feeling like I was strong despite the pain in my right hippish area.

The next five I ran in the trails after work and enjoyed most of the run as I do the majority of my trail runs. I opted to run the easy trail course instead of the hard one due to the fear that my legs couldn't handle it. I've been really careful with my legs and treat them like they are a very fragile family heirloom these days. I think I sometimes underestimate myself.

I had a last minute change of plans for the long run (18 miles). I forgot about my fantasy hockey draft, which is one of my favorite days of the year. It fell the night before my long run. A dilemma, as beer is a common temptation at the draft. I was moderate and went to bed at 1:30 am to be up at 7 am. I woke at 3 AM, never to find sleep until I had to be up.

I was nervous about the lack of sleep and the run itself. I had bonked my last three long runs over 14 miles due to the heat, I think. I got up and was determined to be better than what my body had previously allowed. I was scared and embarrassed, but angry enough to find a way to make this one better. I got some luck with the weather.


I ran hard and felt good. My legs started hurting at mile 10, but I kept my mantra repeating in my head that "I am better than this, I have fought through worse, and I can endure any pain left to endure." I powered on at a good pace. I had to stop a few times to stretch out cramps, but I finished on my feet with gas in the tank. I needed this one. I am proud of this run. It made me confident that given a cooler temp, I will be able to achieve my goal of twenty-six point two. The last four miles got hot without shade and I felt it and it put me into the battle again, but it was too late to bonk me. 4 miles isn't enough misery to lay me down.

Next week is 5, 5, 5, 19. Two more long runs until the biggest and most daunting run.




Sing.
Migrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment