Saturday, September 20, 2014

Week XIV


Week XIV
29.8 miles.

Started the week with my 8 miler in the trails from work. It felt a bit labored, so I took the pace back. I'm learning to listen to my body instead of the numbers on my watch.

I coasted through a fun 3.8 with my wife and friends at the RunDetroit beer run, then followed it up with a Growler of Hop-A-Peel. I had a great time and someone who won a raffle gave me a free entry into a 5K next Saturday. If my twenty doesn't tax me too much, I may go for an age group win. It's a small race, so I can probably beat most of the field. But it depends on my legs.

Decided to get to the longish run of the week. I visited RunDetroit to try on some shoes. My Altras was wearing holes in the forefoot. I ended up with a new pair of Newton Gravity III and a pair of CEF compression calf sleeves. I ran the run. I met up with my friend Rudy at mile three and left him at mile nine and finished strong. I was tired on this run. It was a little warmer than last weeks long run, so maybe this was the issue. I ended up with a solid time of 8:58/mile for the run. I felt good about it because this would only be about 4:30 minutes off of my half marathon PR (1:52) if I had kept that pace for that distance. Not too bad. I wasn't trying for speed, so I was happy with it.

I finished the week with a six mile run after work with a very motivated kid from work. Made me feel good to see someone work so hard, using sheer will.

It was a pretty good week. I ended it by watching 4 Minute Mile with my wife. Now I want to run fast, right now. I took about 45 minutes and rolled out the legs and stretched. Every time I do this, I am reminded that taking care of the legs is the best thing you can do as a runner.

I've been thinking about getting a GoPro and filming some of my runs with some commentary. No one is likely to watch them, but I'm sure I will want to when I can no longer run. I'll look into it.



Sing.
Migrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment