Monday, September 29, 2014

Week XV


Week a XV
34 miles

I started this week with a five mile run from my trustee route from home. I like this one because I don't have to think about my trip and there is a public restroom halfway though. 

I've had the 20 mile peak long run on my mind all weekend and decided to get it over with to get it out of my head. I ran this one at night to avoid the heat. The run started out ok enough. I wasn't feeling it going in, but the first five mile lap was pretty relaxing and I settled in pretty well. I didn't even need a drink during the lap. 
The second five mile lap felt similar. I ate a gel at mile 7 and had only expended about 5oz of water.  By the end of the lap, I had begun to realize this was going to be a fight. 
Lap three was pretty annoying as it was the only period of uphill in the run. I had to stop to use the restroom and found myself in Taylor, which doesn't seem to have sidewalks. I still felt ok. The hip was hurting pretty badly, but my calves and knees were golden. 
Lap four was brutal. It was one dark road without sidewalks after another. The hip became a real problem and now the knees had begun to cramp and tighten. I stopped every mile or two to do a quick stretch, but they weren't getting better. I gave the run over from skill and technique to heart and guts. My pace slowed and I gained about :30 per mile for the final three miles and I reached mile twenty limping in severe pain in the knees mostly. They hurt so bad that I actually forgot about my hip for a moment. I finished with a 9:35/mile pace, which isn't bad, but the pain makes 26.2 miles all the more daunting a task. Took an ice bath and a beer. I'll take a few days off to recover. 
The next two runs were forgettable. The first five miler was painful, but the only injury I feel is my hip. The knees are ok, so I'll chalk that pain up to knee cramping. The next four miler was better. 
Time to taper! Next week will peak at a twelve miler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment