Sunday, July 20, 2014

Week V


Week V
24.2 Miles

Started the week a little sore from the Tough Mudder. Ran 3 miles at Niagara Falls with my wife waterside before we left to go home. I took a look at my schedule and realized that I was going to have a 6 day stretch at work and my long run of 12 miles would have to be done at the beginning of the week just two days after the Mudder. I wasn't too pleased and Brian (my training partner) was tied up at work until the end of the week. I was able to grab Justin Q (a short distance training partner) and con him into doing 12 with me. I caught him on a good day I guess, or perhaps a bad one that needed some venting and we drove downtown to log miles.

The Polar Vortex reared it's ugly head again, except this time it wasn't so ugly. Temps dropped into the mid sixties at run time in the evening, making it ideal weather to run in. I brought this mammoth camelback that wears like a fanny pack instead of a backpack. The pack holds about 44 oz. I took a few strides with it and turned right back around and put it back in the car. The bouncing wasn't gonna work for me. I grabbed a smaller bottle and we took off. There were so many people downtown running and we even ran through a 5K in progress. Felt a little tight at mile 9 and felt pain in the joints at mile 10, but I finished strong and held a 9:42 pace. This is still slow for the pace I'll need to run sub-4 hr in the marathon, but i was ok with it nonetheless.

Took a day off and ran a slow 3 mile recovery, then a 6 miler the same day to finish the week.

I feel strong and confident going into another step-back week with 9 miles being the peak long run. I'll do most of the runs on the trails. I've found that I enjoy the trails so much more than the pavement and have added at least one trail run per week to my training. The hamstrings hurt after due to the hills, but it is so serene and beautiful. I shed the headphones and listen to the wildlife and leaves and I end my run feeling really good. I have yet to have a bad trail run. To save my tailbone from injury in falling in the trails, I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak 1.5 on Super Clearance from Runningwarehouse.com for $63. Score. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with my road Altra Torins, so these are likely not to disappoint.




Sing.
Migrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment